District HomeOpen BurningHours - LocationPermittingRegulationsPlanningAir MonitoringAsbestosTop Bar
GHGAdvisoriesWoodstovesEducationDiesel EnginesCarl MoyerClean VehiclesCounty Website
Burn Program links

Fire Safe CouncilCalFireFire WeatherBurning SafelySmoke and Health

Burn Permit ApplicationSMP ApplicationBurn Info SheetDistrict RulesDisposal Options

Burn Ban is in effect as of June 23, 2014

CAL FIRE announces a Burn Ban is now in effect as of 12:01 A.M., June 23, 2014.

All residential and open outdoor burning permits within Mendocino County are suspended. This may include training burns conducted by the State and local fire agencies. Contact your local Fire Agency or Air Quality for more information.


Burn responsibly and do not cause a smoke nuisance for your neighbors. Manage burns to reduce excessive smoke by keeping material dry and burning hot with visible flames. Never allow your burn piles to smolder overnight. Avoid burning when high pressure is forming and a visible inversion is evident.

Cooler temperatures and rainfall alone do not prevent fires from escaping control. Landowners are responsible for safely burning outdoors and maintaining control at all times. For tips on safe burning visit the CAL FIRE website at www.fire.ca.gov or check with your local fire agency.

Adopted changes to open burning regulations

Credit Card Payments (Call for ID # first)


Open Burning Information

Open Burning of vegetation is allowed on Permissive Burn Days During Burn Season

 Always call the burn line before burning

Standard Burn Permits Are $15

 For BURN DAY status call 463-4391

Outside of Ukiah you may call toll free (800)-992-5441 and enter 4391 at the prompt.

  • Burn permits are required year round.

  • Open outdoor burning is only allowed on permissive burn days set by the Air Resources Board.

  • Only vegetative matter may be burned. The vegetation must have grown on the property.

  • Burn barrels cannot be used in Mendocino County.

  • Always call the burn information line before burning.

  • READ the Burn Information Sheet that came with your permit

  • Burning related to property development requires a permit from the Air District.

  •  If you have any doubts about your need for a permit, call the District Office at (707) 463-4354.

  • All non- residential burning requires a permit.

  • All burns must be attended by a responsible adult.

  • Large burns require a Smoke Management Plan

  • Piled Biomass Calculator (exit site)


Common Questions


What can I burn with a valid permit? 

'Brush, trees and vegetation burned on the property where grown' 

Burning of any milled lumber, paper, cardboard or other materials is illegal and can result in fines and possible criminal prosecution. 


Who decides it is a 'burn day' or a 'no burn day'?


The State Air Resources Board, however the local Air District and Fire Agencies can suspend burning based on local conditions. Some major holidays are always designated no burn days.


What is an inversion and what what does it have to do with open burning?


Inversions are the result of poor air circulation. Mendocino County has significant inversions on a regular basis.

Are all burn permits the same?

All residential burn permits, if issued by a delegated fire agency, are the same, however they may have special conditions for your local area.

There are several types of non-residential burn permits. Some agricultural permits can be issued by Fire Agencies, other larger burn permits can only be issued by the District. If you are planning a non-residential burn it is best to call the District.

For information about recycling and composting please visit the Mendocino County Recycling Guide from MSWMA

Last Update 01/29/2014