The following topics are covered on this page:
- Site overview
- Finding what you're looking for
- Department list / site map
- PDF problems
- Font size - make it larger or smaller
- Browser support / site layout
Site OverviewThe site offers many helpful features you may have missed. Visit our Site Overview page for some helpful hints.
Can't Find What You Want?
- Click the Search button on the top navigation bar. Then enter your search word or phrase and click 'Search.' You will have the option of searching the entire site for your phrase, or limiting your search to a single department.
- Click the Services button on the top navigation bar to search for services offered by the County
- You can also check the Site Map, available in the left navigation bar on the home page.
Department List / Site Map
At this time, screens with a resolution set to less than 1024x768 may not display the site correctly. If you cannot view the navigational menus in their entirety, please refer to our page with a full list of departments and affiliated agencies, our services list, or the Site Map.
This site contains many PDF documents. PDFs can be read by any computer without purchasing software by installing a free PDF reader, which is usually pre-installed on Windows and is bult-in to the Mac OS.
Some PDFs are large and will not open immediately. Especially if you are on a dialup connection, please be patient.
If you get an error while trying to view a PDF try the following two solutions. If you still have trouble, please let us know.
- Start your PDF reader before trying to open the document
- Save the file to your hard drive (do this by right-clicking or control-clicking on the link and choosing the Save Target or Save Link option) and then open it from your hard drive
Did you know that you can change the size of the text on your computer screen?
To change the size of text in most modern browsers, press Ctrl+/- or +/- repeatedly or hold Ctrl/ down while scrolling the scroll wheel on your mouse. Alternatively, look for "Text Size" in the "View" menu.Here's how to change your monitor resolution in the most popular operating systems:
- Mac OS X
- Open System Preferences (click on the apple in the upper-left corner of your screen and select System Preferences)
- Click on Displays
- Select a new resolution from the list. To make things look really big, select something smaller, e.g. 800x600. To fit more things on your screen, select something larger, e.g. 1920x1080 (1080p).
Browser Support / Site Layout
There are three versions of the County's website. Which one you see depends on the browser you are using.
- Preferred Browsers will see the preferred site layout, which includes some images and drop-down menus.
- Internet Explorer - Internet Explorer 9 or later will acceptably display all pages, but we suggest using one of the preferred browsers above. Versions of IE less than 9 will display some pages erratically, as well as present a security risk. Always update to the latest version of whichever browser(s) you choose.
- Other Browsers will vary in results and/or may be directed to a basic text layout
- Mobile Browsers for Android, iOS, and BlackBerry will be presented with a streamlined mobile layout
It is recommended that you keep your browser current. This not only allows you to take advantage of the latest features on all websites, it also ensures that your browser is updated to correct inevitable security flaws. If you're concerned that a new browser may contain bugs, wait until it's been out for a few months before upgrading. If there's a major flaw, you'll be sure to hear about it by then. Also make sure your operating system is current by using its update feature. You can find this feature on Windows in Internet Explorer's "Tools" menu. On Macs, choose "System Update" from the Apple Menu.